By Sharon L. James,Sheila Dillon
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A significant other to girls within the historic World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from favourite students at the examine of ladies within the historic world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of readings to handle the examine of girls within the historical world
- Explores a vast variety of subject matters on the subject of ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the family members, the nation, and faith; costume and Adornment; lady Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; ladies in past due Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and plenty of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of historic topics of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions on the subject of girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a few of the such a lot favorite students linked to the learn of girls in antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
In antiquity, the Mediterranean area used to be associated by means of sea and land routes that facilitated the unfold of spiritual ideals and practices one of the civilizations of the traditional international. The Cambridge better half to historical Mediterranean Religions offers an advent to the key religions of this region and explores present study in regards to the similarities and changes between them.
The Hellenistic interval all started with the massive growth of the Greek international throughout the Macedonian conquest of the Persian empire and ended with Rome turning into the fundamental political strength in that global. This new and enlarged variation of Michel Austin's seminal paintings presents a wide ranging view of this global in the course of the medium of historic resources.
This quantity advances our figuring out of the faith, society and tradition of Dura-Europos, the small city at the Euphrates identified because the Thirties because the 'Pompeii of the Syrian desert'. numerous positive aspects make the location in all likelihood our greatest resource for daily lifestyles in a small city located at the outer edge of the Roman global: inscriptions and graffiti in ten historic languages; sculptures and frescoes combining parts of Classical and Oriental artwork; an important papyrological file of any army unit within the Roman international; files in terms of the neighborhood financial system; over a dozen pagan sanctuaries; plus a famously painted synagogue and the earliest Christian apartment church, prepared in a gridiron urban plan and surrounded through well-preserved fortifications.
This publication unearths the traditional Egyptian roots of Christianity, either traditionally and spiritually. This elevated model of the ebook includes 3 elements to coincide with the phrases of trinity. the 1st half demonstrates that the main biblical ancestors of the biblical Jesus are all old Egyptian well-known characters.
- The Art of Medicine in Early China: The Ancient and Medieval Origins of a Modern Archive
- Schwertbrüder: Eburonenlied I (German Edition)
- Livy's Political Philosophy: Power and Personality in Early Rome
- Unreliable Witnesses: Religion, Gender, and History in the Greco-Roman Mediterranean
Additional resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Sharon L. James,Sheila Dillon