By Marcel van Ackeren
• First number of its variety to fee new state of the art scholarship on Marcus Aurelius
• Features readings that disguise all elements of Marcus Aurelius, together with resource fabric, biographical details, and writings
• Contributions from a world solid of most sensible Aurelius scholars
• Addresses evolving points of the reception of the Meditations
Read or Download A Companion to Marcus Aurelius (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
In antiquity, the Mediterranean area used to be associated through sea and land routes that facilitated the unfold of non secular ideals and practices one of the civilizations of the traditional global. The Cambridge better half to old Mediterranean Religions offers an advent to the main religions of this zone and explores present examine concerning the similarities and variations between them.
The Hellenistic interval started with the significant growth of the Greek global during the Macedonian conquest of the Persian empire and ended with Rome turning into the essential political strength in that global. This new and enlarged variation of Michel Austin's seminal paintings offers a breathtaking view of this global in the course of the medium of historical resources.
This quantity advances our figuring out of the faith, society and tradition of Dura-Europos, the small city at the Euphrates recognized because the Thirties because the 'Pompeii of the Syrian desert'. a number of good points make the positioning possibly our greatest resource for day by day lifestyles in a small city located at the outer edge of the Roman global: inscriptions and graffiti in ten old languages; sculptures and frescoes combining parts of Classical and Oriental paintings; crucial papyrological file of any army unit within the Roman global; records in relation to the neighborhood economic system; over a dozen pagan sanctuaries; plus a famously painted synagogue and the earliest Christian condominium church, ready in a gridiron urban plan and surrounded by way of well-preserved fortifications.
This e-book finds the traditional Egyptian roots of Christianity, either traditionally and spiritually. This extended model of the booklet comprises 3 components to coincide with the phrases of trinity. the 1st half demonstrates that the most important biblical ancestors of the biblical Jesus are all old Egyptian admired characters.
- Die Rolle der Religion in der griechischen Kolonisation (German Edition)
- Studies in Ancient Society (Routledge Revivals)
- Die Entfremdung zwischen Pompeius und Caesar (German Edition)
- M. I. Finley: An Ancient Historian and his Impact (Cambridge Classical Studies)
Additional info for A Companion to Marcus Aurelius (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Marcus Aurelius (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Marcel van Ackeren